If you’re a frequent reader on our blog, you already know that September is National Breakfast Month. It’s also Better Breakfast Month and the Almond Board of California is challenging all of us to eat a better breakfast for at least one week this month. If you’re one of the 50% of women who don’t eat breakfast, start by eating breakfast every day for a week. I know you’re busy…I try to keep some quick, healthful breakfast foods on hand for those occasions. Here are more great tips for making your breakfast better:
Better Breakfast Tips & Ideas from R.D. Bonnie Taub-Dix
- The ideal morning meal combines protein, complex carbs and good fats. Like the three legs of a stool, this trio supplies a nutritious breakfast guaranteed to keep you full until lunch. Try almond butter on 100% whole grain toast with berries, or Greek yogurt with a small handful of chopped almonds along with your favorite fruit!
- Raise a glass to a refreshing way to start the day with this unique, really tasty smoothie: in a blender combine 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 baked sweet potato, 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 3 ice cubes. Blend together and you’ll be off to a smooth start with the natural sweetness of the banana and sweet potato, both potassium powerhouses!
- Sauté a small amount of mushrooms, bell peppers and spinach while you’re making dinner and store in the fridge for your morning omelet. An omelet is a perfect carrier for the veggies most of us don’t get enough of each day. Pair with 100% whole grain toast to provide an energizing pick-me-up.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a second breakfast “sundae” treat. Swirl a tablespoon of almond butter and a teaspoon of sweetened cocoa into oatmeal; top with fresh fruit and some warm skim milk and you’ll have a breakfast that will surely keep you company till lunch.
- The most successful ‘losers’—when it comes to weight loss—eat breakfast daily, according to the National Weight Control Registry. Even a simple starter, like a slice of 100% whole grain toast with almond butter, can be a winning combo to help you lose weight and feel satisfied.
- Beat an egg along with a dash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Dip a slice of 100% whole grain toast bread into the egg mixture and cook on the stovetop in a nonstick pan. Top with sliced almonds, warm berries or sliced banana for an easy way to enjoy a hot, well-rounded breakfast.
- For some morning decadence, try this DIY Banana Almond Muffin – it’s so easy to bake and even easier to love! Swap in ingredients like dried cranberries, raisins and chocolate chips. Freeze half so that the grab-and-go-goodness can last all week long. Pair with cottage cheese for a mid-week breakfast or with an omelet for a weekend brunch.
- Boost your breakfast bowl of cereal or Greek yogurt by topping it with sliced almonds and chopped dried plums or apricots. The fiber will “move you,” and the protein and good fat will help keep your energy levels stable.
- Make your own breakfast burrito by rolling up a scrambled egg, shredded part skim cheese and salsa in a 100% whole grain tortilla. You can even add a little hot sauce to spice up the start to your day!
There are some really great ones there, don’t you think? Snap a picture of your better breakfast and enter it in the Almond Board’s Better Breakfast Challenge for the chance to win a year’s supply of almonds.
I love almonds and think they are a great at any time of day so I was thrilled with the Better Breakfast Starter Kit that the Almond Board sent. I whipped up my own delicious Banana-Almond Smoothie for a healthy breakfast.
2 cups vanilla almond milk
2 ripe bananas, peeled
2 tablespoons almond butter
- Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend until well-mixed. Enjoy!
To get started on the Better Breakfast Challenge, the Almond Board is giving one reader a Better Breakfast Starter Kit that includes:
- One $20 Visa gift card to buy anything else that makes your breakfast better (I bought almond milk withe mine – yum!)
- One pound of whole natural almonds
- One jar of almond butter
- One pound of sliced almonds
- One reusable, insulated travel pouch for breakfasts on-the-go
- One double-sided recipe card for better breakfast inspiration
To Enter: Comment on this post with your favorite healthy breakfast idea or tip. See the Rafflecopter form to enter and for additional entries.
Giveaway Closes: 12:00 am EST on Monday, September 16, 2013. Winners will be contacted by email and will have 48 hours to respond. You must be at least 18 years old and have a US address. Good luck!