As I child I never would have believed you if you told me that I’d love tomato soup as an adult. Nope. I was not a tomato fan…especially raw tomatoes. I still wouldn’t bite into a whole raw tomato, but these days I love tomato soup! Here’s a recipe for a creamy one with some added flavor from basil and parmesan. Yum! It’s got the added benefit of being cooked in a slow cooker, making it a great weeknight dinner. Amazing Diner wished it was spicy (he’s got a thing for red pepper flakes & hot sauce lately); Sweet Diner thought it tasted like a sandwich (huh?). I just think it’s a good soup, but you judge for yourself.
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
(adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking)
1 c. finely diced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 c. finely diced celery
1 c. finely diced carrots
1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 c. chicken broth
½ bay leaf
½ c. flour
1 c. Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
½ c. butter
2 c. half and half, warmed
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Sauté diced onions and garlic in a small frying pan until translucent. Put in a large slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft. Using an immersion blender, blend some of the vegetables into smaller pieces according to your preference (optional).
- About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Taste and add additional basil and oregano if needed.
- Cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Makes about 2 quarts or 8 servings.
Average Fork Rating: 3.4
Mr. Diner: 3
Mrs. Diner: 4
Amazing Diner: 3
Sweet Diner: 4
Little Diner: 3