We love fish and I love the fun of baking food in individual foil packets so when I saw this recipe on Annie’s Eats, I knew I had to try it! I have another fish in a foil packet recipe that I love and was excited to try this one, too. This recipe is actually from the America’s Test Kitchen cookbook The Best Simple Recipes. Oh how I love America’s Test Kitchen!
The recipe is really very simple and fairly quick to put together. Then when the packets are done, just serve them up individually on each plate and let everyone dig in…easily clean up!
The flavors were excellent, but quite spicy (and we like spiciness, but it was a little much for us). Next time I might cut back on the amount of chipotle chiles in adobo. The butter and mild citrus flavors were good, but overpowered by the chiles and the corn and black beans were enhanced by the juices from the fish and butter. Though it was spicy, we still loved it, except for Sweet Diner…I think the spiciness was just too much for her.
Update: I’m wondering if I accidentally used 2 T. instead of 2 tsp. because none of the other commenters on Annie’s Eats found it spicy. I didn’t think I used that much, but maybe…..
Fish with Chipotle Compound Butter in Foil Packets from The Best Simple Recipes
4 skinless white fish filets, 6-8 oz. each (such as halibut, tilapia, cod…we used tilapia)
salt & pepper to taste
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, divided
1 tsp. grated orange zest
2 T. freshly squeezed orange juice
2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 c. corn kernels
1/2 red onion, diced
2 scallions, chopped
1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro, divided
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat (Alternatively, preheat oven to 425 degrees.)
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels. Season the filets with salt & pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, half the chipotles, the orange zest, half the garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Stir with a fork until well blended. Spread mixture evenly over the top of the filets.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining chipotles, orange juice, remaining garlic, beans, corn, onion, scallions, & half the cilantro. Add in 1/2 tsp. salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Lay four 14” squares of foil out on a work surface. Divide the bean mixture evenly between the pieces of foil. Top each mount of the bean mixture with a filet. Fold the foil over the fish and fold up the edges to seal the packet.
- Place the packets on the grill, cover, & cook for about 15 minutes or until the internal temperature o the fish registers at 160 degrees. (You can poke the probe directly through the foil instead of opening the packets.) Alternatively, bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the fish is just cooked through.
- Open the packets carefully to avoid contact with the steam & sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.
Average Fork Rating: 3.6
Mr. Diner: 4
Mrs. Diner: 4
Amazing Diner: 4
Sweet Diner: 2
Guest Diner: 4